- Just published: Γκέκας Σ. (2022). Ιστορίες Επτανήσιων στον χώρο και τον χρόνο της Ελληνικής Επανάστασης. Peri Istorias, 10, 147–186.
- Sakis Gekas has been selected as a 2021 York University Research Award Winner for research leadership in the development of materials of Greek-Canadian history, resulting in a substantial donation from the Hellenic Heritage Foundation to establish as The Hellenic Heritage Foundation Greek Canadian Archives.
- The HHF Chair Summer Abroad Course in Greece is happening in May (at York) and June in Greece; looking forward to meeting the 16 students who will be taking the course.
- Congratulations to Alexandros Balasis for being admitted to the History Graduate Program, after completing his MA at York in August 2021. We look forward to welcoming Alexandros at York in September 2022.
- Congratulations to Jason Rodopoulos for passing his comprehensive exams on Dec 2, 2021
- The HHF-York University Graduate Fellowship in Modern Greek History for 2021-22 has been awards to Alex Harmantas, Angelo Laskaris, Jason Rodopoulos. Congratulations!
- The 27 MGSA Symposium is coming to York! For the announcement and call for papers please see mgsa.org
- YorkU Stewardship Report to HHF – July 2020
- Sakis Gekas has been awarded a Fellowship by the Greek Diaspora Fellowship Programme to spend four weeks (scheduled for December 2020) at the Ionian University to collaborate with Professor Maria Damilakou on Curriculum Co-Development for an undergraduate course on History of Greek Diaspora in North and South America; Curriculum Co-Development for a graduate seminar on Greek Migration and Diaspora in a comparative approach; Collaborative Research on History of Greek Migration in the first half of the 20th century.
- Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the summer abroad course HIST 3357 “Greece; a Modern History” has been cancelled; we hope to be able to offer the course in Summer Term 2021.
- Congratulations to our students, current, and future who will be joining our History graduate program in September 2020: Angelo Laskaris, and Jason Rodopoulos, who have been admitted to the History Ph.D. Program; congratulations also to Alexandros Balasis, BA University of Thessaloniki, who will join our program for an MA in History.
- Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, The 2nd Greek Canadian Studies Conference due to take place at York University on April 2-4, 2020 has been cancelled.
- Review of Kostis Karpozilos’ book Kokkini Ameriki, published by Ergon.
- 18 students are taking the summer abroad course in Greece, on Modern Greek History, this summer; Looking forward to spending four weeks in Athens and Syros that is for the second time part of the course.
- The Second Student Conference “Research on Greece” took place on March 22, 2019 at York University.
- Greek Canadian Studies Conference, May 3-4, 2018.
- Sakis Gekas worked with a student selected for the Dean’s Award for Research Excellence (DARE) – Undergraduate for the digitization and research of documents, newspapers, and photographs to enrich the collection of Greek Canadian History Project. The award to the student selected is $5,000. Congratulations to Cana Fallon for being selected for the Dean’s Award. The project “The Making of Greektown. Mapping the Greek presence in Toronto” forms part of a research agenda with smaller and larger projects to document, study and disseminate historical knowledge about the history of the Greek population in our city.
- “Gateway to Greektown; a historical tour of the Danforth”. Chris Grafos offered four historical walking tours on the Danforth on March 24 and March 25, 2018; more than 200 people attended the event that offered a unique historical perspective to the history of ‘Greektown’. A warm thanks to the volunteers Peter Milonas and Christina Ioannides.
- York University – HHF Chair Stewardship Report
- First “Research on Greece” student conference, March 24, 2017, 10am – 4pm, Harry Crowe Room, Atkinson Building
Congratulations to our students for presenting their work at the “Research om Greece” conference. Sincere thanks as well to the Department of Humanities and York International for sponsoring the event and the Department of Anthropology for their support. Looking forward to the papers from the conference being published on our conference website.
- Sakis Gekas will give this year’s Dr. Arthur G. Nikelly annual lecture on Thursday, March 2nd, 2017 at 2 pm in Room 1027, Lincoln Hall, 702 South Wright St. in Urbana. The topic of Prof. Gekas’ lecture will be “State and Economy in the 19th-Century Mediterranean: The Case of Greece”Dr. Arthur G. Nikelly Annual Lecture March 2nd 2017
- Sakis Gekas, ‘British Colonialism in the Mediterranean and Greek history’, University of Toronto History Students Association Conference Colonizer and Colonized, January 21, 2017, 11.00am – 5.30pm.
- Congratulations to Christopher Grafos, who passed his dissertation examination on December 19, 2016, with no corrections. His dissertation title is “Canada’s Greek moment: Transnational politics, activists, and spies during the long sixties”.
- Sakis Gekas is one of twenty-one Stavros Niarchos Foundation Greek Diaspora Fellows, to work on the Collaborative Project on Empire, Colonialism and Global History in the Mediterranean World (Research Collaboration, Graduate Teaching and student mentoring).
The Host Institution will be the Department of History and Archaeology, University of Crete and Sakis Gekas will work with Professor Petmezas and Professor Elias Kolovos in May 2017
- Sakis Gekas, ‘This is not about lazy Greeks and Nazi Germans; Greece, Germany and the EU crisis of legitimacy’, Workshop ‘Germany, the Balkans and the European Union’, 15 October 2016, CERES, Munk School of Global Affairs
- We welcome Spyros Papageorgakis, Graduate Student in Greek History and recipient of the Hellenic Heritage Foundation International Fellowship (PhD) in September 2016. Spyros is a graduate of the Department of History and Archaeology, University of Athens and holds a MA in History from Birkbeck College, University of London.
NEWSLETTER 2016-17. HHF CHAIR IN MODERN GREEK HISTORY & HELLENIC STUDIES
HHF CHAIR 2015-16 NEWSLETTER
Download the 2014-2015 Hellenic Studies Program and Newsletter
Download the Hellenic Students’ Association Newsletter
“Memory and Migration: Display documents the history of Greeks in Toronto”(Y-File, York University) – May 12, 2014